skip to Main Content
01580 241344

Civil Marriages at The Great Barn, Rolvenden

A Distinctive, Kentish Civil Ceremony venue

A Kentish Civil Ceremony venue.
Civil marriage at The Great Barn

The Great Barn is registered as a civil marriage / partnership venue. We are happy to announce that as of 1st July 2021 we are licensed to hold ceremonies in two designated  areas – in the orchard or courtyard. A civil marriage / partnership may take place on any day between the hours 8.00am and 8.00pm. The latest booking time for a ceremony is 8.00pm. Kent County Council require a minimum of 28 days’ notice prior to the marriage taking place.

Please complete the Civil Marriages Booking Form and The Great Barn Booking Form and email them to At the same time please also pay your deposit plus our admin fee (details on The Great Barn Booking Form) by your chosen method. We will then book your ceremony online with the Ceremonies Manager at Kent County Council. Kent County Council will then communicate with you direct giving details of fees payable and requesting a non-refundable deposit.

If you live in Kent, an appointment will be made for you both to give Notice of Marriage (the civil equivalent of giving banns) at one of their Kent offices. Both parties have to attend. If you live outside Kent (this includes the Medway Council area) you will be advised to contact your local registry office as soon as possible in order to arrange an appointment to give your Notice of Marriage.

At an appropriate time, couples will be issued with their “Simply Perfect” marriage choices pack, which allows you to select and personalise the content of your marriage ceremony.

Couples will return their ceremony choices and a basic script will then be prepared for the day. Couples can, of course, discuss their ceremony choices at any time with the Ceremonies Team and use the Ceremonies Team experience in putting their choices together, or writing their own ceremony.

A celebrant and registrar are allocated to attend the ceremony about one month prior to the date. Couples may choose, on payment of a fee, to have a rehearsal either at the venue or at the KCC office. If you choose the venue, please seek our agreement first in case another event is taking place at your chosen time.

When the two Notices of Marriage have been given, the bride and groom must wait 15 clear days before the marriage can take place. The marriage should then take place within one year; otherwise fresh Notices of Marriage will need to be given.

When attending to give Notice, couples may need to provide the following documents:
Passports or birth certificates. Divorce decree absolute. Certificates, or other documentation, to confirm marital status, nationality, residence and names.

Persons subject to immigration control will also need to provide approval from the Home Office that they can marry in this Country.

Back To Top